Monday, November 12, 2007

My first blog!

I recently read a book by John Gierach (At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman, Simon and Schuster, 2003). John writes a column for a trout fishing magazine and this book collects 20 of his recent contributions. How does this apply to the present situation you might ask ... i.e. Blogging? Well, when a trout fisherman needs to write a column for a deadline what does he do? He goes fishing! When he returns he writes of his trip, the fish he caught, the flies he used ("match the hatch") and the deprivations he endured. Fascinating reading for a New Mexico boy now resident in my adopted state of Mississippi far from the mountains (and trout) of Colorado. John Gierach's book is blog-like - he writes of his experiences and shares them with his readers. Presently, I have imaginary readers, but what I plan to write about is my daily experience of promoting the use of computer technology in medical school teaching.
Its really about the culture of younger people taught by older folks like me who are trying desperately to reach them where they live from where I am. I did not grow up with computers as the Digital Natives did (more on that later) and because of that I will always be a bit behind the early adopters who lead the way in the latest uses of computer technology in our lives. That is really why I am doing this blogging thing -- to try to understand the allure of the blog and the blogger! Be the Blog!
This is a start. I am blogging.

No comments: